Roborock S4 - almost useless on carpets. Please help!

Roborock S4 - almost useless on carpets. Please help!

Just replaced my Eufy G30 by Roborock S4 because of greater suction and sophisticated mapping. Did this even against advice from some reviews, online and on YouTube, that S4 behaves erratically even on low to medium pile carpets. I thought it may have been solved by firmware or in latest production runs. My living room, kitchen, bathrooms and corridors are all hardwood and tiles, but bedrooms are wall to wall carpeted with the usual low pile. S4 totally excelled on everything but the carpets, going fast in neat rows, taking with aplomb on obstacles and complex topography and so on. Never once stopped, got caught up in something or confused!

I was soooo happy. But then it reached the first carpeted bedroom, the one that more primitive and cheaper Eufy had no problem with, and total nightmare ensued. Instead of going about its business in neat rows S4 started to behave like it totally lost its mind - randomly stopping, rotating on the same spot as though there's an invisible obstacle, and then reversing back and continuously zigzagging back and forth. And worse - no less than a dozen times it would pause just for no apparent reason with an error that there's an obstacle or it got caught in something. But there would be nothing around, NADA! Just pushing Resume button in the Roborock App or on the device itself will be enough to make it going like nothing happened... only to get stuck again few minutes later. As a result it took 2x the time and battery to clean and map the bedroom that is 3x smaller than the hardwood living room.

Roborock Support, what's wrong with my S4? Is there a fix? I love the design, price, functionality and how it cleaned the non-carpeted portion of my house, but it's useless to me on carpets! What is solution here?

Thanks,

Alec

PS. I use Roborock app on Android. S4 firmware version is 01.03.58

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• Unfortunately the solution is to return it for a different model.

Like0
    Klopus
    Klopus09/09/2020      13:17
    @Bink:

Thank you Bink. Which one in the same price range comparable in features?

Like0
  • Below is the reply from Roborock support on the Messenger Chat after they asked me to post a photo of my typical cheap and thin US apartment carpet: "We are afraid robot S4 could not cope with this kind of carpet well." So beware!

Like0
    Klopus
    Klopus09/09/2020      21:21
    @Klopus:

By the way, unscrewing the side brush totally fixed the problem! Now S4 runs on a carpet like a champ. But what am I missing?

Like0
  • SAME! I just got mine today and have the same height of carpet and this thing looks like it's crazy! It's spinning around in circles almost like one side isn't being powered. For $400 and all the stellar reviews I expected more... I'll try the side brush trick, and if that doesn't help, back it goes!

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member09/12/2020      09:41
    @Zander:

Hello, sorry for the inconvenience caused here.

You can take some time to have a try. If it is still the same, you can email us with the order info and our agents will continue to help you. (email address: support@roborock.com)

Like0
  • Hello,

Sorry for the trouble caused here.

Could you send us a problematic cleanup map for reference?

Also, please send us some pictures of the carpet you use.

Try to uninstall the water tank and ensure that there is nothing stuck in the wheels.

May I know where you purchased the S4?

Like0
    Erkme73
    Erkme7309/12/2020      12:22
    @RR_Support:

The S4 has a water tank!?

Like1
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member09/15/2020      11:29
    @Erkme73:

The S4 does not support mopping feature.

Like0
    Bink
    Bink09/18/2020      04:43
    @RR_Support:

The S4 does not do mopping.

Like1
    Load More >>

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Klopus
Welcome to Roborock Forum