S5 max avoid black long hair carpets

S5 max avoid black long hair carpets

At home we do have a long hair carpet and the S5 max stops in front and doesn't clean it at all. It seems that the robot thinks it a deep dark hole. Will be a software update available in the future to solve this annoying issue? I don't want to replace my carpet only for the robot.

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• Hi there,

One more to beg you for any solution for black carpets. We have black carpet in our bedroom. S5 Max avoids the whole room, just tries to take a look inside and reports obstacle.

I tried adhesive tape but neither white nor black solves the problem permanently as tape peels off due to dust and air stream. Tried also 3d printed covers but it's not perfect as vacuum blows them off and sucks.

Please forward to Development this suggestion about disabling sensors for specific room (like for vacuum and mopping level) or setting safe zone.

Thanks!

Like1
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:54
    @Auslander:

Well noted. Thank you for your feedback, we will forward it to our tech department and hope they could improve it. But sorry that we could not give you an accurate schedule about it, you're welcome to keep your attention on our official website~~Hope you have a rainbow day~

Like0
  • I just tried out the method of covering the cliff sensors and it seems to work for me half of the times, the other times it complains about the sensors being blocked (error 4). However, even if it works some of the times, I cannot understand why after so much time you have not yet added an option to the app to simply disable the sensors. There are no cliffs in my house whatsoever.

Having to tape them up for something that seems so easy to have an option for in the app does not inspire me with confidence in the product and your support. Seeing as I still have 18 days to return the product free of charge, I’m hoping to hear back from you about possible plans before that time, otherwise I will probably return it.

Like1
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member04/25/2020      07:35
    @alloy:

Hi alloy, sorry for the inconvenience, we will forward it to our tech department and hope they could improve it in future, but we can't promise you a accurate schedule about it. Hope you have a rainbow day~

Like1
  • I have the S6 and covering the sensors works, but spending $600 to only end up covering the sensors with white paper and tape seems like a band aide to a simple software solution that would allow users to identify areas that were not "cliffs" so the vacuum could continue to clean the area rugs with black, dark, or patterns that prevent cleaning of the rugs. The vacuum had major issues navigating our hallway with the area rugs we have. It was treated like an obsticle course for the vacuum. It seems like anything that is black, our recliner, speakers, fridge, front entry way glass doors are a challenge for this vacuum. It does not "see" black items due to the laser not being able to bounce back (I am assuming this is the case). There needs to be either modifications to the software to allow for "GO ZONES" where a user can knowingly disable the cliff sensors to allow cleanings of rugs, as well as further testing with black furniture.

Like1
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member08/14/2020      09:44
    @Drands:

Thanks for your reply. We have forwarded this request to disable cliff sensor to our tech team and hope that they can manage it in the future. Please kindly wait with patience.

Like0
  • Just got my robot and same thing is happening . I will be returning it since it seems Roborock’s reply to everyone is they’ll forward it to their development and clearly that isn’t working.

Like1
  • I'm having the same problem, too.

I can see so many requests passed on to the R&D team here in this thread. Can we learn their official response, please?

Like1
  • Hello. Any updates on disabling the cliff sensors.

It would be nice to have our giant area rug be vacuumed

Like1
  • We are sorry for the trouble you are facing. Could you please send us a picture of the carpet?

Like0
    notebook
    notebook01/01/2021      10:25
    @RR_Support:

I have an s55 and even today you failed to solve the problem of carpets !!! implement in the application something like "go there it's safe"

Like0
  • O agree - it would be great if there was a way to turn off the cliff sensors...or you will make customers have to stick tape or 3D printer covers over the sensors...

This would make many people very happy.

Like0
  • I have a similar problem. My area rug is not long hair, but it does have a black boarder. There is also a pattern with alternating maroon and cream. If I put the S5 Max on the rug, it goes crazy bouncing around thinking it is going to go over a cliff. Going from hardwood floor to the rug it bounces off the rug as the black appears as a fall zone.

I have a Neato Botvac Connected that I have move to the basement. It never had a problem cleaning the whole upstairs including the rug. The black boarder and dark pattern were not a problem for it. It also avoided the stairs, so it is possible to design a vac that can deal with this problem.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member02/15/2020      03:08
    @MarcF:

We are sorry for the trouble you are facing.

Our vacuum may not work on some deep color carpets or carpet with different color patterns, because the carpet will absorb light, which will make device misidentify the carpet as cliff and avoid to clean.

Unfortunately, there is no switch on hardware or software to disable cliff sensor which is necessary in most occasions. Hope you can understand and forgive this drawback.

If you really hope to disable it, you could try to use white tags to cover all sensors lightly. See attached file.But make sure the tags doesn't interfere other parts near like side brush, charging contact and front bumper. Besides, it may cause some other potential risks like falling on stair or other errors.

We will forward your feedback to our R&D department and hope it could be improved in the future. Your understanding will be much appreciated.

Like1
    Vertigo
    Vertigo02/15/2020      08:14
    @RR_Support:

An obvious solution would be a "safe zone" or "no cliffs here zone" that users can draw on the map to indicate an area is completely safe but may have black borders.

Like2
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:52
    @Vertigo:

Please kindly try No-go-zone or virtual wall~~

Like0
    Load More >>
  • I have a similar problem. My area rug is not long hair, but it does have a black boarder. There is also a pattern with alternating maroon and cream. If I put the S5 Max on the rug, it goes crazy bouncing around thinking it is going to go over a cliff. Going from hardwood floor to the rug it bounces off the rug as the black appears as a fall zone.

I have a Neato Botvac Connected that I have move to the basement. It never had a problem cleaning the whole upstairs including the rug. The black boarder and dark pattern were not a problem for it. It also avoided the stairs, so it is possible to design a vac that can deal with this problem.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:53
    @MarcF:

Thank you for your feedback, we will forward it to our tech department and hope they could improve it~~

Like0
  • I noticed today I have same problem, unfortunately with this carpet from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/dk/da/p/stoense-taeppe-kort-luv-morkegra-60426825/

Safe zone sounds like a great idea!

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:51
    @jaredanz:

Hi Jaredanz, sorry for the inconvenience. We are afraid our robot could not cope with this kind of carpet, safe zone do you means "no-go-zone"? yes, you could draw a no-go-zone to cover the carpet so your robot won't climb up.

Like0
    CallumW
    CallumW05/10/2020      23:20
    @RR_Support:

I think he means the reverse of that.

Not a No-Go zone, but a Do-Go zone. An area that's safe to clean (do not avoid)

Like1
  • Hi support team. We're having the same issue, our roborock s5 does not go over our new dark gray rug. It goes over this rug if I cover the cliff sensors with tape but that's just a temporary solution. I would be grateful if you could pass along a feature request to the product and R&D team again about having the option to disable the cliff sensors.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member06/08/2020      08:13
    @aghagol:

Hello, noted that, we will forward your request to our R&D team.

Like0
  • I agree. I too am having the same issue with some rugs and would love a way to disable the cliff sensors as we have a single story home with no cliffs.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member08/13/2020      07:45
    @Steve A:

I see, noted already.

Like0
  • Same issue here. Any updates?

Like0
    Dani
    Dani08/27/2020      14:31
    @Dani:

You can update the application to set 'Safe zone' or disable cliff sensors for this Area or Room. Otherwise, I'm going to return the product 'till this update is done. 🤔

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member08/28/2020      06:14
    @Dani:

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Dani, there is no option to disable cliff sensor, you can set invisible walls or no go zones around the dark high pile carpets or cover the cliff sensor with white papers as a workaround.

Besides, we will forward your request to our RD team and hope they can manage it in the future. But for now, we cannot promise anything. Hope you can understand.

Like0
  • Agreed, I also have this problem with a white and black rug...the robot freaks out everytime it sees a dark area and stops...this should be easily fixed in software by allowing you to whitelist and area that doesn't require the cliff sensors to be on, may save battery too. For such an expensive device there should be a fix for this as it's pretty limiting

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member10/21/2020      09:45
    @RobotEverything:

Hi,

Noted that, we will forward it to our RD team; as a workaround, you can try methods mentioned as a workaround.

Like0
  • Having the same problem with black lines on the carpet here as well - "safe zones" would be an awesome improvement.

Like0
  • I have the same issue. It should really not be an issue to define something in the map as safe drop zone, and ignore the drop sensors in this area.

Better than having a lot of anoyed customers that tapes over the sensors?

Any plans on this?

Like0
  • Just want to take a moment to say that I'm having similar issues with our E4. I made my own post about it, but yeah, this is an issue and I really think there should be some kind of toggle in the app to disable cliff sensors for people who don't need it like me! I put in a report in the app about it, too. It would be really cool if Roborock is the first company to allow users to disable cliff sensing. It would be pretty innovative and a selling point imho

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member11/18/2020      07:16
    @Matthew:

noted that. Thanks for your feedback again.

Like0
  • Hi guys,

Do you have any updates on this issue? 

I have got my s5 max today and I was very disappointed when it decided not to go on our gorgeous blue long hair carpet as it was mainly the reason why we bought it.

So now I have doubts if I need it at all or should I take something else and save some money...

Please increase priority for this issue as it's pretty critical feature (as you may see this post have 3648 views so far and it's a lot)

Thank you.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member12/05/2020      09:28
    @KM:

Definitely sure, we will let the RD team know.

Like0
  • same issue here.

i have a 6x6 carpet in the living room and the robot avoids it like the plague.

a safe zone needs to be implemented in the app to tell the robot that it is safe to go on the carpet.

let us know if this is impossible to achieve with a software update or I will return it.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member12/08/2020      15:02
    @Blipblopflop:

Hello, there is no such feature available yet. Sorry for that.

Like0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

kotiks
Welcome to Roborock Forum