Side brush gets stuck with carpet

Side brush gets stuck with carpet

Bought a S4Max from Amazon last week. Have the same issue. All my bedrooms have medium pile carpet and the side brush kept getting entangled on the carpet strands and would not move. This is a poorly designed side brush design. I have used many different robo vacuums and none had this issue. Its a deal breaker for my house which is half wall to wall carpet.

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• Hi,

Please email us with the picture of the tangled side brush and purchase info and serial number. The email address is support@roborock.com.

Like0
  • I bought an S4 Max on Amazon and it was delivered before Xmas. Finally set it up just after Xmas. First run got side brush tangled in medium pile carpet and lost one rubber arm. You can't really even lift up the robot due to the tangle. After untangling the side brush it finished the carpet with no other problems. Second run, same thing within a few feet of entering carpet area. Both events were in locations where the robot was spinning to change direction.

Don't want to "No Go" the carpet. Don't want to remove side brush since its helpful on hard surfaces.

I bought an S4 and S4 Max. S4 can't seem to deal with any pile carpet. S4 Max looks like it can handle the carpet but gets tangled.

Can Roborock at least fix the tangled brush issue? Its a software fix to stop the side brush when the suction is triggered to a higher level on carpet.

Help!

Planned to use both on different home levels (I know that they can handle multiple levels each). But now looks like I might return both and get another brand.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member12/30/2020      08:44
    @Jim D:

Hi, please email us via support@roborock.com. Our agent will provide a proper solution.

Please email the picture of the tangled side brush, serial number and purchase info together.

Like0
  • I have this exact same problem. I ran the vacuum through my new house - upstairs and downstairs - without an issue when it was unfurnished. However, when we moved in a week later and furnished the apartment, we started having issues. The side brush tangles quite badly with the carpet. It seems that the tangles happen when the vacuum tries to move backwards while on carpet. The worst part was that the vacuum was committed to cleaning ever bit of the carpet so it kept going back to the same spot and getting tangled.

1 - I found the vacuum stuck in an area between a chair and a wall. The brush was tangled in the carpet.

2 - I paused cleaning and gently pried the side brush out.

3- I put the vacuum down and told it to resume. It immediately drove back to the same place to clean

4 - when the vacuum tried to back out, the brush tangled again

5 - repeat steps 2-5.

I had to untangle it 4 times. Finally I stood in front of the robot so it couldn't go back in that space and it gave up. Later, I put a no-go zone in the gap by the chair so that it won't go in there anymore.

Later that day, during the same cleaning, my vacuum got caught in the exact same way on the carpet in a different room. This time it had gone between two shelves and got tangled when trying to back out. This time, though, I'd learned better so I immediately added a no-go zone so that the bot won't go back in.

I went through my whole house and added no-go zones anywhere where the robot might need to drive backwards to get out, but this was frustrating because it took a lot of work and I'm sure I'll miss something and the bot will get stuck again. Plus my kids sometimes move chairs/couches around and that may make more problems in the future. I'll give my roborock a few more chances but if it keeps getting tangled up I'm going to take it back to the store.

Like0
    GeorgeSully
    GeorgeSully02/08/2021      15:50
    @GeorgeSully:

I think that a software fix would be brilliant. Maybe the side brush could stop turning when the robot is driving backwards on carpet or maybe the side brush could just always be off on carpet because it doesn't help on carpet. Or perhaps it could be a setting in the app to have the side brush turned off in certain zones or on carpet.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member02/11/2021      03:05
    @GeorgeSully:

Hi, thanks for your reply. For the issue, actually we have another kind of side brush that can work better on some carpet than the 5-arm rubber one. You can contact support@roborock.com for further information. Please send them a picture to show your carpet as well.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member02/11/2021      03:05
    @GeorgeSully:

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. We'll forward it to our tech team, and will try to manage it in the future.

Like0
    Load More >>
  • My S6 Pure works perfectly except on my 8x12 thick plush rug. It went over the rug perfectly during mapping. During the second cleaning, the side brush tangled itself twice. I untangled it and found that removing the side brush was the better solution while cleaning this specific room. After being entangled twice, the brush is now deformed and bent, so I am doubting my decision to reinstall it.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/12/2021      16:02
    @Drey7x7:

Hi, regarding this issue, we suggest you contact support@roborock.com to get further assistance.

Like0
  • Roborock, can you please tell us why you suggest private emails to every single person addressing this problem, instead of just adding a software feature that's called "No Side Brush Zone" and just disable the rotation of the side brush for this area? 

I have just purchased and set up the very new Roborock Q7 Max and have the exact same problem. First run, long hair carpet, got stuck and nearly ruined the brush.

Please do not reply with a support email suggestion, but with a mobile app release roadmap, when this feature is going to be added.

Thank you.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member04/20/2022      13:10
    @matzn.eda:

We regret and apologize that the feature you mentioned are currently not available. I will forward this to the relevant team. Hopefully, they will be able to manage them in the future, though I cannot say for certain when or if this will occur.

Thank you for your patience and for being a valued customer.

Like0
  • On the first use of my brand new S8 Pro Ultra the side brush became completely entangled in a throw rug with long carpet strands. My Roomba j7+ never became stuck. I suspect that the Roborock brushes have too much friction and a different material should be used. Roborock - please fix this and send us replacement brushes.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member12/25/2023      05:24
    @ketchemr:

Hello, thanks for reachng out.

We are sorry to hear that your device did not work well. 

The issue you faced may not be solved in a short answer. We hope we could work with you to locate the cause and address it. Would you please contact us at support@roborock.com so that we can better assist?

Like0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rj
Welcome to Roborock Forum