S5 Max is determined to access and jump off the balcony

S5 Max is determined to access and jump off the balcony

Hi Team Roborock,

I'm very pleased with my S5 Max, however the latest firmware (01.07.80) has made me lose all confidence in my robot. It has basically lost any sense of smartness. I've had multiple issues with it being completely lost around the house. I have very large wall-to-floor windows which run across the lengths of the living room, with a little frame at the bottom, which overlook my balcony and the robot now gets very confused trying to clean my house. The first time this issue happened, the robot spent its entire battery going back and forth across the windows until it drained its battery out after 189 minutes. I think it was trying to access the balcony with brute force!

With the older firmware, it would simply move along the windows and move along the edge and continue. I can also see that it sort of maps a little bit of the balcony (grey) but this never was an issue with the older firmware. The Grey mapping now extends further out for . With the new firmware it is determined to go outside and is not finishing cleaning because it stay running back and forth until it’s out of battery. Furthermore, there is a room that is adjacent to the balcony which the robot tries to access via the balcony now as well. Basically my robot is determined to go through the windows and into the balcony.

As you can imagine, I’ve lost the most basic functionality on my robot, which is to clean my house, and it's very frustrating to me. Note that after the initial update it managed to get a full clean up without an issue but then changed its habits/patterns and is now constantly confused. Please help me resolve this issue as it’s a major one for me. To make things worse, I’m also now trying to access the historical cleaning maps of those 2 instances but they won’t even load anymore…just stays on “loading map”.

Please help!

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• Dear customer,

Could you send us a picture of the living room where the wall-to-floor windows locates?

Please send us a picture of the home map interface.

You mentioned, after the firmware updated, it changed its habits/patterns and constantly get confused, could you please provide more information?

FYI, the latest firmware with multi-floor maps feature does not support backup maps anymore. If there is only one floor on your house, you can try to hard reset the S5 max to install the original firmware which has backup maps.

Like0
    H
    H05/28/2020      08:57
    @RR_Support:

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response.

When i say behavior change it is as shown below, the vacuum finished cleaning point B, but instead of going to point A, it ignored it and tried heading towards the balcony, which what i mean by strange.

Another strange behavior is how it now acts with my windows/balcony. As shown below, it consistently tried to clean the same area over and over again until it drained its battery. Usually, the robot cleans along the bottom window frame without an issue and continues doing so across the entire lengths without a problem.

Here is a picture of the actual balcony/windows

I don't mind hard resetting my Robot, but it will install which firmware? Because if it's not the latest one, then i will lose a lot of functionality and enhancements. I don't care about the multi-mapping as it's a single floor, but how much of the recent improvements/additions will i lose? That is my main concern.

Like0
  • So just an update, i've finally had the time to do a full house cleaning while i was outside the house. I deleted the saved map and then let it run again for a full mapping and it seemed to have done a good job at mapping the house and is no longer insisting on going out on the balcony.

I just have one question: It didn't exactly separate the rooms as they are supposed to be so i assume i will have to do that manually?

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member06/04/2020      09:03
    @H:

Hi,

Glad to hear that it works well now.

There are 4 requirements for robot to divide room on map.

When robot is creating the first map,

1. Map saved mode is enabled, see attached pic.

2. Robot starts from dock;

3. Robot goes everywhere on map it detects to clean, not just somewhere. Pls make sure the doors are open for the rooms you want to be displayed on map.

4. Robot returns to dock(whose position is not moved) by itself and successfully.

For now, you can try to divide room manually and give it a shot.

Like0
  • Hello,

I tried running my robot again today with the selected room (I've circled them in red) and as you can the S5 max is not exactly performing well. Unfortunately, it seems the new firmware has significantly impacted the performance of the S5 Max. What once was a breeze has become a total headache for me.

Please see map below. As you can see it ran itself out of the battery, accessed rooms it wasn't supposed to, built imaginary areas (grey) and went over the same spots over and over and over again. I really need to resolve this as i'm hesitant to use it now.

Like0
  • Here is another example where i asked it to clean 2 rooms. I stopped the cleaning after the first room due to the confusion of the robot.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member06/09/2020      12:01
    @H:

Hello, sorry to hear that.

Recently, we have released a firmware for S5 Max to solve some issue. You can send us the device info as pic attached and then we can add you into the whitelist to have a try.

Note: Taken privacy into consideration, you can email us these info via support@roborock.com.

Like0
    H
    H06/09/2020      12:19
    @H:

Hello,

Thank you for your quick answer. Note that the details have been sent using my gmail and i've referenced this thread in the email.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member06/10/2020      08:47
    @H:

Noted. Our agents will continue to help you via email then. Please keep in touch with them.

Like0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H
Welcome to Roborock Forum