S6 Max V Question

S6 Max V Question

Hi,

I recently purchased a S5 Max, but was disappointed by its lack of ability on dark/black carpets (it thinks its a hole and freaks out) this caused me to unfortunately have to return the item as it made the device essentially worthless to me. I loved everything else.

So I went with iRobot, and it works flawlessly with my dark/black carpets. Its just the software and the path finding is horrible on the iRobot.

My question is how does the S6 Max V fair on dark carpet? With its improved vision can it now tell that carpet is not a hole? Have you upgraded the fall sensor to fix the issue?

Basically if you have, I may be inclined to return this iRobot and buy a V6 Max V when it becomes available.

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• Dear Customer,

Sorry that our vacuum may not work on some deep color carpets or carpet with different color patterns, because the carpet will absorb light, which will make device misidentify the carpet as cliff and avoid to clean.

Unfortunately, there is no switch on hardware or software to disable cliff sensor which is necessary in most occasions. Hope you can understand and forgive this drawback.

If you really hope to disable it, you could try to use white tags to cover all sensors lightly. See attached file.

But make sure the tags doesn't interfere other parts near like side brush, charging contact and front bumper. Besides, it may cause some other potential risks like falling on stair or other errors.

Like0
    Mikey
    Mikey05/16/2020      13:45
    @RR_Support:

I have read about so many users complaining about this deficiency in your product.there are probably more people who have dark colored carpets than have stairs. So when you designed it to avoid cliffs, at the same time you designed it to not work on dark carpets. Not very smart.

You could take care of more than 90% of these problems by having a software switch on the APP to allow the customer to disable the cliff sensors.

Like1
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member05/18/2020      08:04
    @Mikey:

Thanks for your reply. We will forward your advice to our R&D team and hope they will add this feature in the future.

Like0
    stixie
    stixie11/23/2020      02:22
    @RR_Support:

I want to also give feedback on this. I just purchased an s6 maxv and personally it’s the best robot vacuum on the market. The only thing I have issue with is the black carpet problem.

What NEEDS to happen with this is, you need to have “black carpet zones” just like no go zones. You draw on the map a ”black carpet” area that turns the cliff sensors off when cleaning that zone. That feature would solve this problem.

That way the Cliff sensors would still work like they should in other areas of the house and still be able to clean black carpet.

Like1
    Load More >>
  • Hi Support member,

I am well aware of this 'work around' but thats like instructing someone to not wear a car seat belt because it was designed poorly and prevents you from turning the steering wheel right. I'm also curious since this is official advice given by support, will you replace a unit that has dose dived down a set of stairs?

But looking at your steady improvement in your product line, i'm hoping that the S6 max V will have improved this large failure in past designs.

Is this the case or does it need this self defeating 'work around' to work correctly on dark carpet?

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member05/18/2020      08:11
    @smileboot:

Dear Customer,

I understand your concern. As mentioned, it may cause some potential risks, so if you want to cover the sensors with the white tag, we need pay more attention to it to avoid it from falling. And you can add virtual zone or no go zone to protect it.

And it is just a workaround when customer needs it to clean the deep color carpet or so so much. Normally, we do not suggest you customers to cover the cliff sensors.

And we will forward your advice to our R&D team. Thanks a lot.

Like0
  • Any updates on this? I've recently bought roborock s6 maxv and face the same issue. It has been more than a year since this problem was reported.

@RR_Support, any news from your RnD team?

Like0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

smileboot
Welcome to Roborock Forum