Brush stops on carpet but runs on hardwood floors?

Brush stops on carpet but runs on hardwood floors?

New owner of an S5 Max here and I've been generally happy. However, I've read in online forums complaints about the rotating brush on Roborock vacuums working just the opposite as it should. It is difficult to see through the dust bin while the vacuum is in operation, but it appears to me the comments are correct!

The rotating brush roll on a vacuum is intended to agitate the fibers in the carpet to release debris so it can be picked up. In contrast, a rotating brush can damage hardwood and laminates. That is why upright vacuums have a carpet/floor setting to enable/disable the brush.

Can you clarify what is going on here? By the way, in my case, the carpet is not high pile. Also the brush stops spinning almost immediately after hitting carpet, so it has nothing to do with overheating.

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• I have a S6 MaxV and I recently discovered the main brush stalls on my low/medium pile carpet. Without agitation the carpet cleaning performance is poor.

A few people on reddit seem to have the same issue. However mostly with the S6 MaxV, so surprised to hear the S5 Max is similar

https://youtu.be/EgFb3P2ZiPg

Like2
    Vander
    Vander10/25/2020      10:37
    @bigjhp:

I’ve done the same thing as in the video, my S5 Max brush spins continuously on medium pile carpet with carpet mode on, quite rapid spinning. I don’t think there’s much carpet agitation going on though, it’s more of a surface sweeper.

Like0
    bigjhp
    bigjhp10/25/2020      12:36
    @Vander:

Yeah it’s annoying the S6 MaxV has this issue. Surely along with the suction the main brush roll is more effective than it not spinning? The bristles are quite soft though.

I have cats and my old Deebot cheapy used to get more fur from the carpets than the Roborock. It didn’t stall at all like this one! I hope it’s fixable in software

Like0
  • Sorry, I did not quite get your point, could you provide more details? You can send us some pictures or videos for reference.

Please tell us the device info as pic attached below:

Like0
    Vander
    Vander10/24/2020      07:11
    @RR_Support:

I think the user is suggesting that the brush roller is stopping when it detects carpet. I’m certainly going to check this in carpet mode. Perhaps this is why the brush errors stop in carpet mode - is the brush not running?

Like1
    TallerGal
    TallerGal10/25/2020      15:33
    @RR_Support:

Sorry for not responding sooner. I've since determined that the brush is spinning much of the time on my carpets. It did not appear to be spinning when viewed through the dust bin, but I found I could see the brush better with the dustbin removed (it is necessary to hold the filter in proper position until powering on allows suction to keep it in place).

The discussion on reddit indicates that others do have the problem of the brush not spinning on carpet and were told by Roborock that the brush didn't help much on carpet anyway. That response is cause for concern. The brush on a vacuum is to agitate the carpet fibers to loosen debris. In fact, some hardwood flooring may be damaged by a brush.

It might be a good idea to offer an option to disable the brush unless in carpet mode, while also working to improve performance of the brush spinning on carpet.

Like2
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member10/28/2020      14:41
    @TallerGal:

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion. We will let our RD team know.

Like0
    Load More >>

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TallerGal
Welcome to Roborock Forum