frame

S5 max avoid black long hair carpets

S5 max avoid black long hair carpets

At home we do have a long hair carpet and the S5 max stops in front and doesn't clean it at all. It seems that the robot thinks it a deep dark hole. Will be a software update available in the future to solve this annoying issue? I don't want to replace my carpet only for the robot.

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• We are sorry for the trouble you are facing. Could you please send us a picture of the carpet?

Like0
  • O agree - it would be great if there was a way to turn off the cliff sensors...or you will make customers have to stick tape or 3D printer covers over the sensors...

This would make many people very happy.

Like0
  • I have a similar problem. My area rug is not long hair, but it does have a black boarder. There is also a pattern with alternating maroon and cream. If I put the S5 Max on the rug, it goes crazy bouncing around thinking it is going to go over a cliff. Going from hardwood floor to the rug it bounces off the rug as the black appears as a fall zone.

I have a Neato Botvac Connected that I have move to the basement. It never had a problem cleaning the whole upstairs including the rug. The black boarder and dark pattern were not a problem for it. It also avoided the stairs, so it is possible to design a vac that can deal with this problem.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member02/15/2020      03:08
    @MarcF:

We are sorry for the trouble you are facing.

Our vacuum may not work on some deep color carpets or carpet with different color patterns, because the carpet will absorb light, which will make device misidentify the carpet as cliff and avoid to clean.

Unfortunately, there is no switch on hardware or software to disable cliff sensor which is necessary in most occasions. Hope you can understand and forgive this drawback.

If you really hope to disable it, you could try to use white tags to cover all sensors lightly. See attached file.But make sure the tags doesn't interfere other parts near like side brush, charging contact and front bumper. Besides, it may cause some other potential risks like falling on stair or other errors.

We will forward your feedback to our R&D department and hope it could be improved in the future. Your understanding will be much appreciated.

Like0
    Vertigo
    Vertigo02/15/2020      08:14
    @RR_Support:

An obvious solution would be a "safe zone" or "no cliffs here zone" that users can draw on the map to indicate an area is completely safe but may have black borders.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:52
    @Vertigo:

Please kindly try No-go-zone or virtual wall~~

Like0
  • I have a similar problem. My area rug is not long hair, but it does have a black boarder. There is also a pattern with alternating maroon and cream. If I put the S5 Max on the rug, it goes crazy bouncing around thinking it is going to go over a cliff. Going from hardwood floor to the rug it bounces off the rug as the black appears as a fall zone.

I have a Neato Botvac Connected that I have move to the basement. It never had a problem cleaning the whole upstairs including the rug. The black boarder and dark pattern were not a problem for it. It also avoided the stairs, so it is possible to design a vac that can deal with this problem.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:53
    @MarcF:

Thank you for your feedback, we will forward it to our tech department and hope they could improve it~~

Like0
  • I noticed today I have same problem, unfortunately with this carpet from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/dk/da/p/stoense-taeppe-kort-luv-morkegra-60426825/

Safe zone sounds like a great idea!

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:51
    @jaredanz:

Hi Jaredanz, sorry for the inconvenience. We are afraid our robot could not cope with this kind of carpet, safe zone do you means "no-go-zone"? yes, you could draw a no-go-zone to cover the carpet so your robot won't climb up.

Like0
  • Hi there,

One more to beg you for any solution for black carpets. We have black carpet in our bedroom. S5 Max avoids the whole room, just tries to take a look inside and reports obstacle.

I tried adhesive tape but neither white nor black solves the problem permanently as tape peels off due to dust and air stream. Tried also 3d printed covers but it's not perfect as vacuum blows them off and sucks.

Please forward to Development this suggestion about disabling sensors for specific room (like for vacuum and mopping level) or setting safe zone.

Thanks!

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member03/26/2020      07:54
    @Auslander:

Well noted. Thank you for your feedback, we will forward it to our tech department and hope they could improve it. But sorry that we could not give you an accurate schedule about it, you're welcome to keep your attention on our official website~~Hope you have a rainbow day~

Like0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

kotiks
Welcome to Roborock Forum