Can no longer change maps from main screen; Maps often fail to load in Map Manage

Can no longer change maps from main screen; Maps often fail to load in Map Manage

I've been using my S5 Max for over a month, and have had four maps defined. In the last few days, the option to change maps from the main screen has disappeared.

If I go into Map Manage, one or two of my maps appears but the others say "Failed to retrieve maps". If I retry several times, they will eventually load. I then must restore the map that I want to use. But I have to repeat this process every time I want to vacuum a different floor.

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• I'm having similar issues! It won't even create a map and stays in one place in circles. I tried resetting and still doesn't work.

Like0
  • Hello,

The option has moved to edit map- map manage page from the home menu; actually you do not have to switch the map manually, the robot will recognize the real environment and switch to corresponding map automatically.

Besides, it does not mean that it will work on the map which you switched manually. It depends on the actual location.

Back to your case, could you send us some pictures or a video for reference?

Try to switch to cellular data, clear the cache to have a try.

Like0
    Raven219
    Raven21911/18/2020      11:41
    @RR_Support:

Just checking what you said. I have two maps (downstairs and upstairs). If the downstairs is loaded and I take my Roborock upstairs, and hit clean, it will load the upstairs map automatically?

Like0
    Domodial
    Domodial11/18/2020      15:05
    @RR_Support:

Hello I have the same problem. There is no longer a button to select the card to send the robot. I tested while the robot was positioned on map2 but on the application map1 was displayed.

It finds map2 and it works.

But your new approach has a serious flaw.

We cannot choose only one part out of 5. Since this is not the correct map on the screen, it was impossible to indicate which room it should work in, because the only solution we have is to throw the robot. . and nothing else, but since the robot has already started to work, it is not possible to choose the part.

We must quickly review this problem because it becomes a big problem, the robot is there to serve us.

Like0
    TallerGal
    TallerGal11/18/2020      21:59
    @RR_Support:

I wanted to also say that loading the correct map when moving the robot to a different level seems to help quite a bit. It still has to position where it is on that map, but it does so quickly.

I just moved the robot back to the main level and hit the Dock button without first loading the main level map like I usually do. It moved around randomly completely lost and tried to draw a new map. It then said the main brush was jammed (it was not).

I then loaded the main level map and hit the dock button. It looked around once and then headed straight for the dock. Having the right map helped.

Like0
    Load More >>
  • It is very inconvenient to have to go into Map Manage to change map. If I want to do a room or zone clean on a different level than the dock is located, I now must wait for the robot to figure out where it is, and then I have to stop it, and then select room or zone to clean. It is easier to select the map from the home screen.

The other issue I am having may be unrelated, but also started with the latest update. Each time I go to Map Manage, it fails to load one or two maps, but always works on retry. It does this every time. I will send a message with video of this problem.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member11/19/2020      04:05
    @TallerGal:

No problem, we will wait for your updates.

Besides, there is an isolated option for each map now, you can go to "edit map” - map manage page to select the specific map and edit it. You can refer to the pic I attached above.

Like0
    TallerGal
    TallerGal11/19/2020      14:49
    @RR_Support:

I think you are missing my point. If I want to edit or manage a map, I don't mind going through several steps to get there because this is an activity I would do infrequently. But to USE a map should be something that can be done from the home screen. Without this ability, I cannot to a room or zone clean without "managing my maps".

Also, as I noted, my S5 Max usually cannot recognize when it has been placed on a different level. Only if I first load the right map can it find its way home.

Like1
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member11/20/2020      03:50
    @TallerGal:

Hello,

I see, while as mentioned earlier, you can switch map which is showing on the home page manually by pressing "restore" button.

Like0
    Load More >>
  • It was a bad idea to switch from the main screen, the possibility of changing the different floors of the house. My robot gets lost when it has another map, it cannot easily find the other corrrect, it goes around trying to find the map it has on the main screen, not the one on the other floor, which is the one it should look for. Can't fix it in a new update?

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member11/24/2020      11:43
    @Euge:

Hi, theoretically, the robot will detect the current environment and switch to the correct map automatically.

You can use wet cloth to clean the wall sensor and cliff sensors. Also, if it is still the same, you can switch the map which is displaying on the main screen page manually by pressing the "restore" button.

Like0
    Euge
    Euge11/25/2020      16:46
    @RR_Support:

In the case that it detects the map of the current environment, to tell it to clean a room, I should pause it, cancel the cleaning, and choose only that room? Before the update, i chose the specific map and the room to clean

Like1
    TallerGal
    TallerGal11/25/2020      18:40
    @RR_Support:

That may work in theory but my robot struggles much longer positioning if it has to compare to all possible maps. Often if goes off randomly and sometimes tries to create a new map, and then eventually fails.

I hope that you are hearing from your customers that such an often used control such as map selection needs to be accessible on the home screen.

Like1
    Load More >>
  • Hi

I wonder how the thought process went when making this change: 

”how about we change something that works perfectly fine for the user and destroy it so its harder to switch maps”. 

There is no logic having to go to map manage/restore map, from a user perspective this makes absolutely no sense compared to previous logic.

Going from changing maps in one second to unlogical method+users having to google how to do. Not to mention several people having bugs with maps dissapearing etc.

Tell your development team they really shat the bed on this one.

how can i reset firmware to go back to the WAY it should work?

also do note i recently purchased 2x maxv s6 for my parents/sister, but am thinking about returning them. Only reason i bought them was because i was so satisfied with how it worked up until now

best regards

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member01/02/2021      06:34
    @Xexee:

You can follow the instruction below to hard reset it:

Step 1. Hold the recharge button for 3-5 seconds.

Step 2. Press the reset button next to wifi LED with a pin just once. Then the light of the power button and the recharge button will be out. When doing this, please make sure you're still holding the recharge button without moving.

Step 3. Keep holding the recharge button for 5 seconds after you've pressed the reset button until the light of the power button blinks again, then you'll hear the tone "Restoring the initial version. It will take about five minutes. Please wait with patience". After that, you could stop holding the recharge button.

We will forward your request to our RD team; and the reason why they made this decision is that the robot will switch to the corresponding map based on its actual location, no need to change it manually.

Like0
    mastaCH
    mastaCH01/15/2021      14:32
    @RR_Support:

"Hi, theoretically, the robot will detect the current environment and switch to the correct map automatically."

"the reason why they made this decision is that the robot will switch to the corresponding map based on its actual location, no need to change it manually."

That was also my assumption. But as you read here now, it just DOES NOT WORK correctly. I have the exact same issues as the other users. When changing floor, in 90% of the cases the robot will not detect the correct map, drives stupidly around and then fails. Or just starts creating a new map.

And you still did not answer, how we should use the bot after these sh.... updates! Again an example:

Floor A was cleaned. I bring the bot down to Floor B and want to just clean a room or zone.

What are the steps required to do this? As you explained, we don't have to switch manually as the bot is so intelligent. But how can i choose a room easily on Floor B, when the home screen still shows Floor A?

This is really bad! And it's a bad user experience too. And it just doesn't make sense when i have to go into edit map mode just to start a new cleaning job.

Like1
  • Hello, just to share that I also find the new app change very I inconvenient - the fact I could save and access maps of all my floors easily (eg from the main page) was actually one of the reasons I chose roborock over other brands! This new change is very frustrating and inconveniencing and I am not sure what value it adds. Could we please revert back to the old way?

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member01/15/2021      15:07
    @Joyce:

You can hard reset the robot to restore the previous firmware to have a try.

Like0
  • RR_Support. Despite your arguments, you have made the software worse and there is no indication that the robot can find itself if you move it to another floor. The fact you defend this indefensible design flaw amazes me. Just have a screen which says: choose a map and has images of the maps with the names we have given them. Checkmark that map which will lead us to a window for the options for cleaning and push "clean." Figure it out. It is not so hard.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member01/12/2023      16:26
    @sotolux:

Thanks for posting. We're always looking for ways to improve the user experience and we appreciate your feedback. We will forward your request to the tech team and hope they will address the issue soon.

For more help, feel free to reach out to our support team at support@roborock.com(if you are in EU, contact support@roborock-eu.com).

Like0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TallerGal
Welcome to Roborock Forum