S5 Max cannot use mop anymore - Bugged path + stuck itself in the middle of an empty room

S5 Max cannot use mop anymore - Bugged path + stuck itself in the middle of an empty room

Hello,

It has been more or less a week that I am experiencing issues with the mopping on my S5 Max...

I received it brand new around April this year, and it has been working fine until recently. I always clean my house with mopping enabled (I have tiled floor), and never faced such issues before.

Please see below some screenshot that are self-explanatory.

1) Room cleaning without water tank and mop installed on the robot: good.

2) Room cleaning with water tank and mop installed, but water "disabled" in the settings: good. Slightly different path, but still, the job is done.

3) Room cleaning with water setting to "low": one small bug (the robot decided to not clean a small part of the room???), but still "kind of ok"... However, this water setting is basically useless for me... It's almost as if there is no water at all on the floor......

4) My usual setting that has been working fine until now: water setting "high". As you can see on the screenshot... Complete mess. The robot even "stuck" itself in the middle of the room! I even made a video of the robot with bugged moves in the middle of the room: https://youtu.be/9KvRiAfCP_8

yes, it is "stuck" here... nothing around, flat surface below.......... -__-

As you can see on this map after the cleaning, this mop issue even made the map itself "bugged", by slightly shifting everything on the right :o it looks like as if the robot went through the walls...

So as you can see, I cannot use mopping at all anymore.

The robot is well cleaned by myself twice a week, as per the manual guidelines, and received no shock whatsoever (I have no animals, no kids, and it is placed in an isolated part of the house).

Before doing those tests and screenshots I installed a brand new mop, and what you can see on the screenshots above is the first time it was used.

I also tried re-generating the whole house map from scratch, by deleting the previous one and creating another one. No change, still bugged.

I tried rebooting the reboot completely, and re-connecting to Wi-Fi after a reset. No change, still bugged.

Firmware details in case you need them (they are up-to-date as of 2020-12-22):

Could you please either provide a fix/update asap, roll back to a previous "working" firmware, or simply replace my model? Because as it is now, this robot isn't what I have paid for... It can only vacuum, not mop... :(

Thanks for the support!

Best regards,

Marc

You can share this article on the community website!

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

• Hello,

Thanks for all the info you provided.

We suggest you factory reset the device to restore the previous firmware to have a try.

Step 1. Hold the recharge button for 3-5 seconds.

Step 2. Press the reset button next to wifi LED with a pin just once. Then the light of the power button and the recharge button will be out. When doing this, please make sure you're still holding the recharge button without moving.

Step 3. Keep holding the recharge button for 5 seconds after you've pressed the reset button until the light of the power button blinks again, then you'll hear the tone "Restoring the initial version. It will take about five minutes. Please wait with patience". After that, you could stop holding the recharge button.

Like1
    Freyja
    Freyja12/23/2020      09:02
    @RR_Support:

Thank you, will give this a try as soon as possible and let you know if it fixes the issue.

I suppose that I should avoid accepting any firmware update afterwards?

Like0
    Freyja
    Freyja12/23/2020      10:33
    @RR_Support:

Okay so I did the factory reset, it reverted to this version: 01.08.76. (I did NOT do any update afterwards)

Then I re-generated the map, and tried the same room cleaning than yesterday:

1) No water tank and mop attached: works fine.

2) Water tank and mop attached, water setting "high": some bugs, a very small part not cleaned, and very slow to clean the room, but "a bit better" than yesterday...

3) Just after, again the same scenario (water tank and mop attached, water setting "high") but I had a worse result this time: even more bugs, a small part not even cleaned, and VERY slow! The robot was struggling to even move in front of it... I made a video of it: https://youtu.be/rqELGHdgFcE

So it seems that the old firmware is working "slighlty better", but it is still very far from the performances of the robot that I had on the past months :(

Is my unit defective? Waiting for your feedback and support, thanks a lot. Best regards, Marc

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member12/23/2020      12:12
    @Freyja:

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and info.

Try to adjust the water volume to low. Also, does the error happen on the specific area? If yes, please send us some pictures.

And please ensure that there is no oil stains on the floor, you can use the dry cloth to clean the wheels.

Our engineers are working on it, any updates, we will post on the app.

Like0
    Load More >>
  • I see your cabinet doors are reflective like mirrors. Can it be that because the doors are reflective the lidar-beams reflect and are confusing the robot?

Like0
    Freyja
    Freyja01/23/2021      17:30
    @Kenneth H:

The reflective part is too high for the robot (it's the surface of the cupboards).

Where the lidar is "touching" is below, a non-reflective surface.

It worked for months on this room, then suddenly decided to fail, as described above.

Like0
    Kenneth H
    Kenneth H01/23/2021      21:59
    @Freyja:

I beg to differ. My bathroom doorstep seem to be the same hight as the panel below your cupboard and my robot still try to map out my bathroom.

Like0
    Freyja
    Freyja01/24/2021      16:12
    @Kenneth H:

I think that I know the heights of the cupboards inside my own house a bit better :p the robot is NOT seeing this dark reflective surface. Simply too high for him.

And if you are talking about the part on the left of my map which is partly unmaped like in your example, this is a ventilation hole below the fridge :) the robot laser is seeing through it, but cannot go there.

Anyway, not related at all to my issue. Everything worked fine on this room for months, then around November it started failing, worked better around end December-mid January, then failed again. And yes, nothing changed AT ALL on my room / floor / walls / robot itself / how well I maintain and clean it every week.

Like0
  • @RR_Support any update for this issue please?

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member01/27/2021      08:13
    @Freyja:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It's possible that the robot releases too much water when you set the water at high. Maybe you can try and set it at medium to have a try.

Like0
    Freyja
    Freyja01/27/2021      15:37
    @RR_Support:

I already tried playing with this, it did not change anything (high, medium or low).

I also tried with a completely dry mop, or a wet mop (putting a bit of water on it before starting the cleaning).

The real question is: why did it start failing AGAIN this week, while it was working perfectly last week and the few weeks before? It was just after an app upgrade... I hardly believe that could be a coincidence... :(

Like0
    Sharky
    Sharky01/29/2021      02:01
    @RR_Support:

Many people have this bad experian.. I think the wheel slip when to wet..

Like0
    Load More >>
  • Hi. Did you ever get this issue solved? Mine just started behaving like yours after working perfectly since I bought it back in beginning of November.

Like0
    Kenneth H
    Kenneth H04/11/2021      12:24
    @Kenneth H:

It works fine when vacuuming. But when using the mop the robot seems "too weak" to pull the mop around. Its like they have adjusted the stength of the wheel motors to be too sensitive when mopping.

Like0
    Kenneth H
    Kenneth H04/11/2021      14:16
    @Kenneth H:

I solved it. There were some oil splashes on the floor after cooking. The mop smeared in around and causes the mop to drag and wheels to spin. Its was invisible to the eye but taking off the mop-bracket with the mop on it dragging it by hand over the area I could feel the mop stuggeling with that part of the floor. I cleaned the cloth and tried to compared it to another part of the floor far away and there is no drag. I then cleaned the area manually cleaned the area and mop-cloths with dish-soap. Now it works fina again.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member04/15/2021      12:33
    @Kenneth H:

Hi, thanks for your updates!

Yes, that's true. If there are some oil on the ground or if the floor is waxed, it's possible the robot will slip and cause the issue.

Like0
  • So I did have this issue and it was severe. Maybe my tile floors are just rougher, I'm not sure. I replaced the water tank, mop pads, made sure floor wasn't unusually sticky or oily, but that only resolved the issue temporarily. I do have a jerry rig fix, it's an unconventional fix, but it is a reliable fix that works flawless for me. Simply scotch tape the water tank to the vacuum. This pulls it up slightly, the mop will drag less on the floor. The mop pad will make less contact with the ground, but I have found that the mopped floor is the same clean result even if the mop pad was in full contact with the floor, it makes no difference. Not ideal, but effective none the less

Like0
  • Did you get any resolution to this? I've had my s5 max for about 15 months and it quit mopping at about month 13 so I've just been using it to vacuum. Would love to get mopping working again.

Like0
    RR_Support
    RR_SupportStaff Member02/13/2022      10:26
    @GSS:

HI, thanks for reaching out.

May I know if you've tried the previously shared suggestions?

You can try and clean the wheels thoroughly, wash the mop cloth, and lower the water flow to try a few more times.

If the issue persists, the issue may lie in the wheels. We'd suggest you contact support@roborock.com to get further assistance.

Like0
  • Have exact same problem. just posted here before finding this post...

https://forum.roborock.com/discussion/2024/s5-max-cant-function-with-mop-attached

Seems to be a common issue with the S5, surely Roborock must know what is causing the problem by now?

Like0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freyja
Welcome to Roborock Forum